TANZANIA PHOTO SAFARI - THE GREAT MIGRATION
A Once in a Lifetime African Photo Safari Adventure!
12 Days | 12-24 August 2019
The Great Migration is on every passionate photographer’s Bucket List. But SPOTLIGHT PHOTO SAFARIS has made this migration safari exceptional by including three of northern Tanzania’s best national parks and an excursion to the incomparable Ngorongoro Crater. We’ve also added visits to three local tribes and an optional balloon safari over the Serengeti, making THE GREAT MIGRATION the Holy Grail of African photo safaris!
This outstanding favorite offers game drives through three of the best-known, most diverse national parks in northern Tanzania: Tarangire, Lake Manyara and the Serengeti (a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the Seven Natural Wonders of Africa). Each park is known for its unique landscape with species of birds and animals endemic to that particular region. Tarangire National Park has the greatest concentration of elephants and over 550 species of birds – the most breeding species in a single habitat anywhere in the world! At the base of the Rift Valley escarpment, Lake Manyara National Park supports the blue monkey and tree-climbing lions. And the Serengeti, well, the Serengeti has most of that and everything else! For volume and variety of wildlife, these parks are exceptional, offering the photographer unparalleled photo opportunities.
The Ngorongoro Crater has its own ecosystem, and we’ll spend a full day exploring the basin of this massive caldera, home to 25,000 ungulates. The 100-square-mile crater will be our best chance of seeing the black rhino, with 26 in residence.
The sheer magnitude and excitement of the Great Migration, as 1-1/2 million wildebeest, zebras and gazelles plow through the crocodile-infested Mara River in search of greener pastures, is not only visually overwhelming but a photographer’s feast. We’ll spend four days on the Mara at the peak time for crossing, ensuring our group the best chances of multiple crossings and maximum photo opportunities.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE TRIP
- Explore the best of Tanzania’s National Parks (Arusha, Tarangire, Lake Manyara, and the jewel-in-the-crown, the Serengeti)
- Experience the thrill of photographing animals in their natural habitat
- Travel with a small group of like-minded photographers and an acclaimed professional wildlife photographer who is there to help you expand and hone your photographic skills
- Traverse the Ngorongoro Crater basin with its unique ecosystem, home to 26,000+ animals, including the black rhino.
- Go hunting with the Hadzabe Bushmen, visit a Maasai village, and admire the jewelry and blacksmith art of the Datoga tribe
- Encounter wildlife up close and personal during off-road safaris in Ndutu
- Thrill to the spectacle of the Great Migration as 1-1/2 million ungulates defy death-by-drowning and predation while following greener pastures.
- Soar across the roof of the world with an optional balloon safari over the Serengeti
- Enjoy the range and variety of accommodations from mobile bush camp, while tracking the migration, to permanent luxury camp to Five-star lodges.
- Savor the sumptuous food especially prepared for your palette from natural ingredients with local flavors whether sitting by the campfire or overlooking the pool.
- All Accommodation
- Full Board (all meals)
- Open Bar (Well drinks, house beer and wine)
- Photography training
- Park fees
- Internal Flights
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Flights between guests’ domicile and Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO)
- Excess luggage on internal flights
- Optional Balloon Safari
- Travel and health insurance (Required)
- Spending money for souvenirs, personal items and incidentals
12 DAYS | 12 NIGHTS– All-Inclusive| $12,200pp
EXTEND YOUR TRIP!
The 'Mara' need no introduction, being one of the best-known wildlife reserves in the world and on every serious photographer's 'Bucket List'. Contiguous with Tanzania's Serengeti National Park, the Maasai Mara shares the annual Great Migration spectacular as 1-1/2 million wildebeest, zebra and Thomson's gazelle migrate between the two countries. Exceptional for lions, leopards and cheetahs.
After the Maasai Mara, the Amboseli is the second most visited park in Kenya. It's one of the best wildlife viewing experiences in the world with over 400 species of birds (including 47 types of raptor). It's considered the best place in the world to get close to free-ranging elephants. And with Mount Kilimanjaro as a backdrop, what more could a photographer want?!
We know Zanzibar! Let us help you plan an extension to suit your budget.
SPOTLIGHT PHOTO SAFARIS are open to all levels of photography, and advice and instruction will be individualized to fit the requirements and requests of each photographer
Safari transport is two elongated 7-passenger, custom-fitted Land Cruisers. The group size is limited to six photographers, three to a vehicle, one to a row of seats, providing each photographer with ample space for themselves and their gear, with a supersized opening window either side and the pop-top roof above. Bean bags are provided for camera stabilization.
All of our accommodations are carefully selected, not only for their rating of excellence and their safe environment, but for their location in regards to the migration and the other wild game. On some of the safaris we are opting for tented camps – some permanent, some mobile – as these offer us the greatest chance of being in the right place at the right time.
The safaris are all-inclusive (including transfers, internal flight, ground transport, guide, driver, accommodation, all meals, well drinks, house beer and wine, all park fees, taxes and gratuities). Not included are the flights between guests’ domicile and Kilimanjaro airport (JRO), the optional balloon safari, and spending money for souvenirs, personal items and incidentals.
ALL PRICES QUOTED ARE BASED ON SIX PARTICIPANTS AND DOUBLE-OCCUPANCY. FEWER THAN SIX PARTICIPANTS WILL NECESSITATE A PER PERSON INCREASE IN PRICE. SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY.
PRICING IS GUARANTEED AS DESCRIBED AT THE TIME OF PUBLICATION. PRICE FLUCTUATION CANNOT BE CONTROLLED SPECIFIC TO PARK FEES AND INTERNAL FLIGHTS. ANY DIFFERENCE IN TERMS, IN THE UNLIKELIHOOD THEY SHOULD OCCUR, WILL BE PASSED THROUGH TO THE CLIENT.