2018 ALASKA PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP
Grizzly Bears, Whales, Eagles....and more....Alaskan Wildlife at its Best!
The 2018 Alaska Photography Workshop is currently being revised from 5 days to 10 and will include 3 days shooting whales and eagles in Homer and 2 days at Brooks Falls photographing bears fishing above the waterfalls. Sign up below for the latest updates.
TOUR DATES: 1-10 July, 2018
Rick was lead bear guide at the lodge for eight years and knows both the area and the bears intimately. He welcomes the chance to share this experience with fellow photographers and has selected these particular dates in perpetuity specifically to maximize the photo opportunities based on his eight years experience.
WHY THESE DATES?
- the days are long, providing extra hours of good shooting light
- the weather has settled
- the sedge fields are green
- the clamming tides (bears eat clams!) are mostly favorable
- the wildflowers are in full bloom
- the maximum number of bears (usually 25-28) are on hand and look their best (they start molting mid-July)
- the cubs are out and the grass is still short enough to photograph them unimpeded
You’ll be photographing the bears in their natural environment. No waiting your turn. No platforms. In addition to bears, we’ll be shooting landscapes, eagles, Puffins and perhaps a sea otter or two and the occasional moose.
- Return flights from Anchorage to the remote lodge in Lake Clark National Park
- Top-notch meals and accommodation (based on double occupancy)
- Footwear in the form of knee boots and hip waders
- Off-and-on-site training on wildlife composition, lighting, camera settings and more
- Evening group debriefs and individual advice on adjustments needed to improve the next day’s shoot
- Boat trip to remote Duck Island to shoot puffins
- Exclusive scouting, training and support for the six participants every day, all day
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Flights to/from your home and Anchorage
- Alcohol (you can bring some or prearrange to have it brought over by boat so it doesn’t count against your weight allowance)
- Gratuities for the lodge staff
The lodge offers other activities for those who seek variety or something to do during down time. These activities include kayaking, hiking back to the lake, canoeing, and sport fishing for Halibut (fishing and charter boat fee extra)
PLEASE NOTE: Although the group is transported by ATV and trailer, there is walking involved and applicants should be fit and able to carry their gear on flat, but uneven terrain.
While you’ll be taking full advantage of the best photo opportunities throughout the day, there are a couple of high tides during this period that will restrict movement in the field for photographers and bears alike. This time will be used for processing images and for talks (if desired) on subjects central to photography such as the elements of composition and wildlife shooting as well as technical aspects of post-processing workflow and some hands-on training with Lightroom. But above all, you’ll be shooting!
Temperatures will usually be in the 50’s and 60's, cool & coastal. Rain is likely so bring a raincoat and layered clothing. There are limited laundry facilities at the lodge run on a gratuity basis with the housekeepers.
COST AND PAYMENT SCHEDULE
Cost for ten days, nine nights: TO BE DETERMINED
There is a $1500pp deposit to be paid on booking. The balance is due in two equal payments.
Payment dates are 15 November 2017 and 1 February 2018.
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
From 1 January 2018, no refunds will be made for cancellations unless your spot can be filled. In the case the workshop should be canceled for any unforeseen reason, your deposit and payments will be returned. However, neither SPOTLIGHT PHOTO SAFARIS nor Silver Salmon Creek Lodge assume responsibility for any other costs incurred by you as a result of the cancellation.
There will be NO REFUNDS for delays or cancellations because of weather, flights, or other reasons before arriving or during the workshop. SPOTLIGHT PHOTO SAFARIS will not be responsible for additional costs that may be incurred by such delays.
PLEASE NOTE: When booking flights between Anchorage and your home, you will need to arrive in Anchorage on June 30, 2018, as the flight to the lodge in Lake Clark NP on July 1st is early morning before any of the interstate flights arrive. It is also highly recommended that you book your homeward flight from Anchorage for July 11th as weather can often delay flights to/from the lodge and outlying areas and you could miss your connecting flight if delayed. You are responsible for all hotel accommodation and meals while in Anchorage.
I highly recommend purchasing travel insurance. A couple of options are: http://insuremytrip.com; http://squaremouth.com
ONCE YOU BOOK, WHAT’S NEXT?
You’ll be contacted by email with your receipt and a request for a list of camera equipment that you have or intend to purchase or rent prior to the workshop. Based on this knowledge, Rick can decide how best to conduct the workshop to encompass the needs of individuals as well as the group as a whole.
We look forward to seeing you in July!
10 DAYS | 9 NIGHTS– All-Inclusive|
Price to be announced soon!
ALL PRICES QUOTED ARE BASED ON DOUBLE-OCCUPANCY. SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY.